Friday 22 February 2019

Meeting #1 with Dr Jannie Van Hees: Setting the platform

I have the pleasure of working with Dr Jannie Van Hees this year, who is supporting me and my learners in 'Languaging social studies'.  In our meetings in the past, I have been fascinated with the idea of looking more closely language but have not had the chance to sit down and unpack what that looks for me and my pedagogy with an expert such as Jannie.

At our first meeting today, we discussed language acquisition and what it looked like for the learners  in my classroom.  I talked about how they receive language (mainly from me and each other).

I wanted explore other ways to enable my kids to gain language, here are my notes:
  • Young ones adding to their toolkit, their 'kete' of language.  Older ones teaching the younger ones.
  • Conversations - language.
  • Technology - engagers and facilitators of thinking.

There are 4 ways to enable learners to gain language:
  • Acquisition - getting the language
  • Development - making it better
  • Sustaining - keeping it going
  • Transfer - using it across more than one area.

In social studies, conceptual understanding of key terms is important, such as:  Change, society, social issues, values, perspectives.

My key takeouts were that language needed to be more of a focus in my classroom and in my department.  Knowing what this looks like now, will help me understand what the next steps are towards 'languaging social studies'.



No comments:

Post a Comment

COL Inquiry #2: Collaborate with school leaders and colleagues

C ollaborate with your school’s leadership team and colleagues to identify areas where your inquiry will make a powerful contribution to wid...