Tuesday 14 August 2018

'Growing our children as conversationalists' - Dr Jannie Van Hees

At our recent School Leaders PLG, Dr Jannie Van Hees introduced the idea of growing our kids as conversationalists.  To define it, we think of 'talk of any kind between two, three or more people' as well as 'people in discussion - taking turns to share their ideas by speaking with each other'.  When I think about my students and whether I hear them having learning conversations, I admit that these conversations are very few and far between.


The idea of Chain Linking and the way students respond to each other has been something that I had never really noticed but I am really interested in finding out more about. Here are some of the notes from that PLG:
  • When kids talk to each other, they should take turns and share ideas
  • Talking WITH someone makes you focus on what is being said.
  • Take turns and share ideas.
  • Practice having conversations with 2, 3 or more people.
  • Link to a new idea or change the topic
  • Return to the point that has already been said.
  • Break down any conversations
  • Challenge what is being said and give your opinion
To and Fro talking
Chain linking - what you say to each other is thought about
Learners - brain has to work hard to respond to conversations

Talking WITH Someone
You can’t practice what you’re going to say, or your response
Learning to be conversationalists
A conversation is between 2 or more people, it’s about taking turns
Co-learn because we bother to share what’s in ourselves
Challenge what is being said

Some key questions to ponder:

What holds students back from conversing?
What can I add?
How do I add value?
Social appropriateness

Discussion:
  • Students are too sensitive, can be held back by giving responses or to challenge. Everyone’s contribution needs to be valued. Social appropriateness is important skill. Value and accept conversation in the classroom. 
  • Use drama to provoke conversations. 

My next steps:  
I am super interested in how to use 'conversations' in my lessons related to the context we are learning about in my year 12 Social Studies class.  I am thinking about how our Maori and Pasifika cultures are an oral people and I almost feel we need to do more to encourage our kids to speak and respond to each other.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

COL Inquiry #2: Collaborate with school leaders and colleagues

C ollaborate with your school’s leadership team and colleagues to identify areas where your inquiry will make a powerful contribution to wid...