Thursday 21 May 2020

Online Teaching and Learning #7: Teaching year 9's from my classroom

This week I returned to school and I've felt a familiar sense of safety and comfortable within the 4 walls of my classroom.  We were fortunate enough to have a rolling start, so on Monday we just had the year 12's and 13's physically in class and the rest of our classes online (please check my previous blog about this experience). 
Monday's class with the year 9's
On Wednesday, I had my year 9 Project class and I excitedly greeted them at the door.  They walked into my sanitised classroom and had to sit separately.  I noticed an apprehensive feeling in the air.  We only had a short time together, so I gathered feedback as to how they wanted to approach the rest of the time left for their projects.  They seemed keen to complete what they'd started and this helped us put together a tentative timeline. 

Karl Bailey, our classes' project leader met us via hangout as people other then staff and students weren't allowed at school.  We also had a few students online whose parents had chosen to keep them at home until level 1 and were later joined by a few stakeholders who were assigned to specific groups.


Here's what the hangout looked like in real time.  I had my laptop facing the class and the projector showing the hangout.  Today was a basic meet and greet with the supporters as we spend much of the time just getting used to the classroom and each other again.

It was great to be able to have all of the supporters with us on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COL Inquiry #2: Collaborate with school leaders and colleagues

C ollaborate with your school’s leadership team and colleagues to identify areas where your inquiry will make a powerful contribution to wid...