Saturday 6 June 2020

TAI 2020 WFRC #6: How will I use the data?

By collating the PAT/Asttle and STAR data for students at the start of the year, I am able to identify where their learning needs with regards to reading and writing.  By adding to this ongoing formative and sumative video analysis of groups in actions as well as teacher observations, discussions and student voice surveys, I can create a holistic picture of how a student learns and where their strengths and weaknesses lie with regards to how they collaborate and how they talanoa.
What I have found interesting so far is that some of the less able students who scored quite low in their testing are finding confidence in speaking in front of the class.  I wonder if the collaborative nature of the class has allowed the learners to feel validated and safe enough to share.  I would like to understand more about how this has happened.  

I am hoping to compare students from this class to those in other year 9 classes who are at the same levels of data testing and compare two time points, the start and the end of year data.  Coupled with interviews for both groups, I am hoping that this will give me a chance to see whether explicit teaching of collaboration through Talanoa, will be one of the indicators to a shift in achievement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COL Inquiry #2: Collaborate with school leaders and colleagues

C ollaborate with your school’s leadership team and colleagues to identify areas where your inquiry will make a powerful contribution to wid...