Monday 22 May 2023

Inquiry Profiling #4: Collecting in-depth information - meeting with a literacy expert

Today I met with our schools literacy expert Marc Milford to help me mark and understand my year 12 students’ asttle tests.   

The tests were based on caring for the planet, which relates to aspects we learn in Social Studies.



This is the process we went through to mark and assess the papers.

  1. Read and understand the elements of the criteria.
  2. Read the student writing
  3. Look at the Manaiakalani rubric
  4. Compare the writing with the rubric by looking at exemplars but also criteria.
  5. Debate whether it is according to criteria

It was interesting to analyse my senior students’ work and how they wrote according to the topic.

After much discussion and debate we were able to moderate a few papers to which I was comfortable with to do the rest on my own.


Marc shared some links to strategies that I will look at to support my students in their writing.

  1. One
  2. Two
  3. Three
  4. Reading observations




No comments:

Post a Comment

COL Inquiry #2: Collaborate with school leaders and colleagues

C ollaborate with your school’s leadership team and colleagues to identify areas where your inquiry will make a powerful contribution to wid...