Thursday 21 March 2019

CoL teachers meeting #2: Understanding the inquiring teacher

At our CoL meeting today, Dr Aaron Wilson shared his insights around how to build a 'detailed and robust profile of our students in relation to that student learning focus'.

Just a thought...
Before this meeting, we had to find out what was going on for the learners in my classroom.  I needed to figure out how to find this out so of course I started by googling it.

I wondered about student engagement to try and build a picture of how we can look more closely at engagement.
Observations
Reflections on the effect of my practice on engagement.

Types of engagement include:

(a) Cognitive:  kids are engaged with the process and are willing to learn
(b) Behavioural:  kids show they're ready and willing to learn
(c) Emotional:  kids feel secure in the relationships with teachers, classmates and school.

I have been thinking of the me and my survey that Dr Graeme Aitken had alluded to at a PLD last year and I am reading through the background of the survey to understand it more.

Here are my notes my from our CoL meeting:
Come up with a plan to build a rich picture in relation to the valued learning outcomes that we have identified.

What is a common focus? Is this a common focus across our CoL team?

Do we have similar approaches to profiling the students?  I need to think of a plan.

The next stage for our inquiry is to look at describing tools/measures/approaches that I plan to use to get a more detailed and accurate profile of students' learning in relation to my challenge.  We then need to justify why we chose these approaches.   I want to break down what this means further.

Tools:  
  • Profile
  • Standardised tests
  • Student voice
  • Connecting with whanau
Measures:
  • Data (PAT asttle)
  • Progression over the years
  • Formative/diagonistic/summative tests
Approaches:
  • Research types
    • Learning styles is an example of gathering information
Idea #1:  Is there a lack of resilience in reading or behaviours when it comes to text?  What are their attitudes to learning?  Do they like reading/writing?


No comments:

Post a Comment

COL Inquiry #2: Collaborate with school leaders and colleagues

C ollaborate with your school’s leadership team and colleagues to identify areas where your inquiry will make a powerful contribution to wid...