Saturday 2 March 2019

Inquiry Blog #2: The how and why of my challenge.

(2) Describe how and why you have selected this challenge of student learning. Locate your inquiry in the context of patterns of student learning in Manaiakalani overall.

The challenge of student learning that I have found is that many students in my year 9 class, struggle to explain to me, whether verbally or in written form, what they have learnt which often leads to incomplete work, disengagement and a lack of overall achievement.  
I have selected this challenge because students are expected to develop critical thinking skills by the end of year 10 to be prepared for NCEA but unfortunately I have found that they are lacking the basic skills to discuss their learning.  

The more I explore the 'why' of this challenge, the more I have found that I need to start with unpacking what I expect my students to know and in the time frame that they need to know it.  I have found that I have overloaded my kids with 'stuff' and not slowed down the learning so that it becomes deeper and wider rather then surface and narrow.  

When I wonder about where my inquiry sits in the context of patterns of student learning in Manaiakalani I feel it relates most to achievement challenge number 1: Raise Maori student achievement through the development of cultural visibility and responsive practices across the pathway as measured against agreed targets for readings Years 1-10 and NCEA years 11-13.  

The reasons why I believe it lies here is that it relates to pedagogy around cultural visibility and building language capacity through developing interventions that support the learners identity and cultures.  As I develop a better understanding of the who my learners are and what my beliefs are as a teacher, I hope to find, develop and implement strategies that work for the diverse learners in my classroom.  I also hope to develop my teacher practices further to enhance student success in social studies. 

My kids writing down a 'get to know me' story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COL Inquiry #2: Collaborate with school leaders and colleagues

C ollaborate with your school’s leadership team and colleagues to identify areas where your inquiry will make a powerful contribution to wid...