Saturday 5 March 2022

Year 9 Sos: Working in the Goldilocks zone #3: Connecting learning to context.

After our initial introduction to concepts, it was time to apply those concepts to real life learning.  The migration model is a simple visual that connects all of the concepts that we have learnt together.  I explain the model and physically move like I am being pushed and pulled in different directions. Then we apply the model to a real life story.

Learn…about the context.

We discussed the need for migrants who came to New Zealand to work and I shared my parents migration story as a narrative.  I told the story verbally and students had to identify all the concepts using a blank migration model template.  This forced them to listen and essentially push their brains to work.


Create…a migration model for Ms Apelu’s migration story.



Share…their own migration stories

Students read one or two more stories using the model. Students were then encouraged to identify someone that they know, either family or friends, who have their own migration story.  This was done for homework.


Reflection

I found the students were engaged and listening when they knew what they were listening for.  I also found that they were respectful and polite because when it comes to talking about families they know that they are important.  By sharing my parents migration story, they could relate to someone who knows someone who identifies with the model we’d been learning about.  They were also free to ask more questions if they needed to.  I know that kids need to see connections to what they are learning about because it makes it less foreign and more real to them. 


Linking this lesson to my inquiry:

Creating a sense of connection to the learning by hearing a relevant real life story.


Links to the Tapasā.

(Characteristics of a good teacher pg 7:  Incorporating stories, legends, myths, events, activities and symbols that I understand and are relevant to me when teaching). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

COL Inquiry #2: Collaborate with school leaders and colleagues

C ollaborate with your school’s leadership team and colleagues to identify areas where your inquiry will make a powerful contribution to wid...