Thursday 2 February 2023

2023: What's my Inquiry?

The purpose of this post is to briefly outline the inquiry that I am hoping will lead my 'Within school's COL' journey this year.  

The What:

The focus:

The problem I see at the moment with student learning in my level 2 class is linked to writing.  Last year, my level 2's struggling with the heavy emphasis on writing for their assessment and there are a number of reasons why.  I am really interesting in a link to whether cultural responsive practice in the classroom can support student achievement and in this case writing.  If the students saw themselves in the contexts but also in the way I approached them and their learning, will they be able to write and write well?

My teaching inquiry will look at...utilising the competencies from the Tataiako to support and develop responsive practices for teaching our Māori students.  I will to fine tune my inquiry as I gather evidence and collect data to allow me to hone in on important learning outcomes.

The Why: 

I have explored Pasifika achievement in teaching and learning around the Tapasā and have enjoyed the challenges and the rewards it that it has bought. One area that I know I need and want to focus on is how to support my Māori students in utilising the equivalent of the Tapasā, the Tataiako to support my Māori learners and how to use aspects of the competencies in my practice.

The Who:

I started to think about which class would benefit the most and decided that I would focus on my year 10 Social Studies class.  But as I began to look at the aspects of the Tataiako more closely, there were a few aspects that made me wonder if my senior students would reflect and articulate their responses towards the competencies more clearly than my junior students.  I also have a really excitable year 12 class full of different personalities and abilities so I've decided to use my year 12 class and specifically my Māori students, as my inquiry group.  

Quick Reflection:

My next step is to talk to experts and colleagues who can give me advice around my inquiry.


No comments:

Post a Comment

COL Inquiry #2: Collaborate with school leaders and colleagues

C ollaborate with your school’s leadership team and colleagues to identify areas where your inquiry will make a powerful contribution to wid...