Thursday 23 February 2023

Inquiry #1 2023: What is the catalytic issue of learning?

Explain why you judge this to be the most important and catalytic issue of learning for this group of learners this year.


In 2022, my level 2 class was a mix of abilities that proved a challenge to motivate.  Understandably with the issues around attendance, it was hard to get a flow on so many of my kids would come back to class and have to be retaught the context and skills to write for their assessments. 


There is also a big transitional adjustment in attitude and demeanour from level 1 to level 2.  Level 2 is a huge step up from level 1 and I wonder if it comes from a lack of preparation in level 1 or a lack of interest in the learning in level 2 that causes students to be unmotivated to complete their writing assessments.  


My level 2’s also failed in their exams to achieve the results I expected them to and I feel part of it was the lack of engagement and interest they had in the topics we had studied but also the lack of preparation we had in practice writing for the exam. 


I will be looking at profiling my level 2 class to see what the learning needs are in the class.




No comments:

Post a Comment

COL Inquiry #2: Collaborate with school leaders and colleagues

C ollaborate with your school’s leadership team and colleagues to identify areas where your inquiry will make a powerful contribution to wid...